Costa Rica in General
Costa Rica is enjoying its status as one of the top tourist destinations in the world. This small piece of land includes stunning waterfalls, pristine jungle and exotic beaches all waiting to be explored. Discover a tropical paradise lush with exotic plants and animals.
Here are a few quick and interesting facts:
- Costa Rica covers 0.03% of the planet's surface but contains 6% of the world's biodiversity
- 26.2% of Costa Rica is composed of protected forest and reserves
- The landscape provides natural habitats for over 500,000 species
- The country contains 34 national parks
- Fauna includes: jaguars, pumas, agouties (a large, long-legged burrowing rodent related to the guinea pig), green turtles, various species of monkeys, crocodiles, sloths and over 850 species of birds
- Costa Rica is home to over 1000 varieties of orchids
- Costa Rica is considered to be one of the top 20 countries with the highest levels of biodiversity in the world. Its geographic position, two coasts and mountain ranges provide numerous and varied microclimates, species and ecosystems
More Facts about Costa Rica
- Capital: San Jose
- Population: 4.6 million (UN, 2010)
- Major languages: Spanish (official), English
- Life expectancy: 77 years (men), 82 (women) (UN, 2010)
- Costa Rica is located in Central America, bordered by Nicaragua to the north, Panama to the south, the Pacific Ocean to the west, and the Caribbean Sea to the east.
- Despite its small size, the country offers an incredible diversity of landscapes; from huge volcanoes rising from the jungle floor to sweeping white beaches.
- Costa Rica is in the same time zone as US Central Time. A direct flight from San Jose to Miami takes only 2.5 hours.
- Costa Rica has major ports on both the Pacific and Atlantic coasts.
- There are seven Free Trade Zones. These are located at the borders with Panama and Nicaragua, the Atlantic & Pacific ports, Juan Santamaria International Airport and other points in the country.
Contact Green Coast Rentals & Tulemar Bungalows today to reserve your vacation rental in beautiful
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica!